Adventures in feeding, parenting and generally managing a household of five boys

Adventures in feeding, parenting and generally managing a household of five boys

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

It's a Review!

I am a member of SheSpeaks (http://www.shespeaks.com/), a web community that offers women the opportunity to test products, services and content.  I love this site as I usually receive something to test six to eight times a year.  I have received pens, food products, make up, financial services and television show previews in the past.  Even better, I receive very little email from them; I usually have to go to their site to see what is available.  Other than filling out some short surveys, there is no obligation on my part.  What's not to love?!

Several months ago, I enrolled in a program to try Perdue chicken nuggets.  I was sent a free product coupon and a silicone bake pan.  But try as I might, I could not find the product anywhere near me.  I tried Kroger.  I tried Giant Eagle.  I even braved it into WalMart (knowing full well they would reject my coupon and embarrass me greatly in the process - yes, I would be that person in the check-out line).  No luck!  I even emailed SheSpeaks and received a reply back (! - love that site) that they were working on getting their products in Columbus.  Sure, sure . . .

Last week I was trolling the frozen food aisle at Giant Eagle and, lo and behold, there was the elusive bag of Perdue chicken nuggets I had been so diligently searching for.  Being the coupon crazy person that I am (I would never throw away a coupon for a free product) I was able to retrieve the coupon from my purse and purchased those nuggets!  Yeah!


The elusive nuggets!

I chose the General Tso's Chicken, knowing that Chinese is always a big hit with everyone.  (That, and Patrick became sold on his high school based on the General Tso's chicken in the cafeteria the day he visited there.)   The bag was $7.99 and said it served 9, which should be perfectly sized for my family.  Some rice and edamame to round out the meal, and mom would be a rock star!

Not so fast.  As I'm putting the bag away in the freezer after I got home, I become a little concerned about the actual amount of chicken in it.  I guess if I am feeding 9 three year olds I might be okay.  But five boys was not going to be pretty.  (Cut to Patrick gnawing on Rowan's leg.)  I panic, and several days later, as I am trolling the frozen food aisle at Kroger now (notice the theme here?), I find a Kroger brand bag of General Tso's chicken that I purchase.  Also for $7.99.  Also serves 9.  (No picture, though.)

So now, not only do I have a review, but also a comparison!

Perdue chicken, brown rice, edamame
First the Perdue:  The chicken was baked, all white meat, no trans fats and large chunks.  Bake in the oven, flip, bake some more.  Very easy to prepare!  The flavor was very good, but I felt the chicken was a little dry as the flavoring was baked on the chicken.  There was no "extra" sauce.  But, several of the boys claimed this to be their favorite, stating that they liked the fact that the meat was more flavorful.

On to the Kroger brand:  The chicken was also baked, all white meat, but much smaller chunks.  Bake in the oven, flip, bake some more and then toss with the included packets of General Tso's sauce.  Also easy, but with an additional step.  I thought the flavor was just as good and I liked the fact that there was additional sauce on the chicken that overflowed onto the rice.  Their chicken was tempura battered, so it had a nice crunch to it under the sauce.  I felt that it was more similar to the General Tso's you would find in a restaurant.  Unfortunately, I did not take a picture of this plate.  The Kroger brand beat out the Perdue brand by a vote.

On a side note, thank God I bought the additional bag of chicken!  I had only a small lunch sized portion of leftovers that was happily procured by Patrick for school the next day.  Gosh, these boys can eat!

I rarely purchase frozen prepared meals for our dinners, as I tend to make most of our food from scratch.  I would definitely consider both of these options, Perdue chicken nuggets and Kroger brand products, though, as a quick and healthy dinner, especially for a busy night.  The price is definitely cheaper than fast food or the local Chinese take-out.  A great alternative!

And now go on over and check out SheSpeaks! 



Disclaimer:  All opinions are my own.  Other than the coupon for the free product from Perdue, I was not compensated for my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment