Adventures in feeding, parenting and generally managing a household of five boys

Adventures in feeding, parenting and generally managing a household of five boys

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What's for Dinner - Week of 2/28/11

Yea - it's March this week! 

We have a crazy month . . . two birthdays, the start of baseball season for three of the boys and spring soccer for the other two.  To top it off, our training for the half-marathon is in full swing with major miles up ahead!  This is when my extra large kitchen calendar comes in handy to keep track of where everyone is supposed to be.

As I readily admit, I am a little "coupon crazy".  I love the feeling of getting items deeply discounted.  The easiest thing to accomplish that with is groceries.  Having five growing boys who rapidly deplete my refrigerator, getting groceries cheaply is a huge motivator for me. 

Now I know that not everyone shares my love for those little squares of paper.  I get it.  It takes a lot of time.  And honestly, I would not have done my wheeling and dealing to this extent even a couple of years ago with younger children.  Definitely not if I was still working.  At this time, I see couponing as my contribution to the family income.  Or, at least, justification for my occasional manicure!

But there is a much easier way to accomplish some discounting without so much time and effort.  And that is to use your store loyalty cards to your advantage.  Both of the major grocery chains in Columbus offer scores of "eoffers" that you can load onto your loyalty card from their websites.  No clipping, just clicking!

Simply go to the grocery store's website (http://www.kroger.com/, http://www.gianteagle.com/) and register your store loyalty card.  Then find the "eoffer" (Giant Eagle) or "digital coupon" (Kroger) section and start clicking away.  The savings are automatically taken off your order when you check out.  You will be able to see your savings on your register slip!  (Just be sure to "uncheck" the box on the website so you don't receive the weekly emails!) 

Another great site is Cellfire (http://www.cellfire.com/).  There you can register for multiple grocery stores and load even different offers to each of your loyalty cards.  You do have to use your cell phone number to register, but I have never received a text message or call from them.  Cellfire also offers specials where you can load free item coupons or "$1 off your order" coupons on occasion.  I also never get any emails from Cellfire.

Both of these options update their coupons monthly, so it's something you only have to think about on occasion to still get the savings.  Nevertheless, I usually check weekly, or the day before I run to the store.

Happy savings!

On to the dinners . . .

Monday:  Breaded Tilapia with Garlic-Lime Sauce, brown rice, green beans
                 Sounds yummy.  The boys have been enjoying the tilapia!

Tuesday:  Dirty Rice, crudite platter
                 I have a book club event that night.  Mark and the boys will enjoy this while I am out.  It is just a Zatarain's mix.

Wednesday:  Baked Eggplant Parmesan, spaghetti, green salad
                 I like eggplant, the boys, not so much.  I may also cook some chicken breasts.  We'll see.

Thursday:  Wild Rice and Corn Casserole, kiwi
                 This is a meatless Mexican-type casserole.  I will most likely throw in a pound of ground beef to appease my carnivores.

Friday:  Roast Chicken with Vegetables, couscous
                  I'm always torn between cooking my own and buying a grocery store roast chicken, they are so cheap and so good.  I will cook my own this time, but I will have to cook two to feed all those boys!

Saturday:  Baseball Fundraiser
                 Will these fundraisers never end?!

Sunday:  Pasta with Herbed Butter, broccoli
                Yummy!

Have a good week!  If you have any questions about ecoupons, leave a comment!




I am participating in Menu Plan Monday over at http://www.orgjunkie.com/!

No comments:

Post a Comment