Adventures in feeding, parenting and generally managing a household of five boys

Adventures in feeding, parenting and generally managing a household of five boys

Monday, December 13, 2010

What's for Dinner

Years ago, while visiting my parents, we found some of the old Datum IV logs.  Datum IV was the sailboat where the seven of us would spend weeks on end, in the summer, sailing on Lake Erie.  My mother, as a trusty first mate should, dutifully kept the ship's log.  This, in theory, details the vessels' port visits, daily mileage, weather, sea conditions and so forth.  In reality it became a chronicle of my mother's meals for each day.  Oh my, we had fun rereading those logs and howling over the entries!  I guess this is my attempt at the Quinlan family ship log . . . concentrating on the meals, of course.

Monday:  Sauteed Tilapia with Baby Spinach and couscous
                  This recipe is from my favorite cookbook The Six O'Clock Scramble by Aviva Goldfarb. The children have enjoyed tilapia in the past.  The spinach not so much.  It is a gamble how this meal will go over tonight.

Tuesday:  Salmon and Potato Leek Chowder
                  This is a Rachael Ray recipe.  It is actually left-over from last week.  The kids get popcorn chicken.  Maybe some of the more adventurous will give it a try (Liam).

Wednesday:  Mediterranean Sundried Tomato and Garlic Chicken
                   I received a sample of a seasoning packet from Lawry's in the mail last week and wanted to give it a try.  You add all of the fresh items and bake.  I thought it sounded good and should be a hit with all.

Thursday:  Classic Spaghetti and Meatballs
                  I have some Market Day meatballs that I received for free for placing such a large order.  Unfortunately, one pound of meatballs just doesn't cut it with these guys, so I will have to buy another pound or so.  This is a huge family favorite and will make up for the fact that we had fish twice this week!

Friday:  Leftovers or Pizza if everything is gone.
                Incentive for everyone to eat well!

Saturday and Sunday:  We'll see.  I'm just getting started!

Enjoy!

I'm participating in Menu Plan Monday over at orgjunkie.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment