Adventures in feeding, parenting and generally managing a household of five boys

Adventures in feeding, parenting and generally managing a household of five boys

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Manager's Special

I love a good deal!

I play the drugstore game.  I subscribe to the grocery game.  I collect coupons.  I can tell you a million ways to save a buck.  Despite all of that though, my grocery bill stays crazy high.  The five growing, starving, and skinny boys I've alluded to in the past, go through food like water.  But I still look for deals to help out.

I was doing my weekly grocery shopping at Kroger on Friday and the "Manager's Special" markdowns were everywhere!  Bread, meat, and yes, dairy!!

Why, so excited about dairy, you ask?  Well, my five boys and husband can easily go through 8 to 10 gallons of milk a week!  A week!  The check-out people laugh at me every week and cow comments ensue with reckless abandon (don't think I haven't thought about it.  My sister has chickens.  Why can't I have a cow?!).

I actually found milk marked down to $1.29!  Needless to say, I bought as much as my cart would hold.  The crazy thing was that this milk doesn't expire until January 16th (this was on the 7th).  Go figure!


You have to understand though, my boys are biased against anything that is marked "Manager's Special".  They think that it is spoiled or rotten or ruined; somehow further working into my twisted plot to poison them all.  Mind you, I have served beets, eggplant, mushrooms and Brussels sprouts this week; all just further evidence.  (Insert scary music here.)

So excuse me while I go peel off some stickers!

No comments:

Post a Comment