Adventures in feeding, parenting and generally managing a household of five boys

Adventures in feeding, parenting and generally managing a household of five boys

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What's for Dinner - Week of 1/17/11

This week started off with Martin Luther King Day and the day off of work and school for all six of my boys (yes, Mark is included!).  Since we spent the day skiing and snowboarding, it essentially became a "lost" day.  Funny how quickly a day becomes lost in the week!  I already feel behind the eight ball and it is only Tuesday. 

Thankfully, I know what is for dinner . . .

Monday:  Out to dinner
                  This wasn't really planned, but we were all really tired from the days' activities.  The children won out!

Tuesday:  Leftovers
                   I feel like I perpetually have leftovers!  But when I make smaller amounts we never have enough.  Funny how that works.

Wednesday:  Chicken with carmelized onions, couscous and grapes
                   The following are more recipes from my favorite cookbook, The Six O'Clock Scramble.  This recipe is essentially adult chicken nuggets.

Thursday:  Quinoa and Black Bean Burritos, green beans
                   Mexican night!  Quinoa (keen-wa) is much healthier than rice, but easy to sub in for rice.  The children have eaten it by itself, so shouldn't be too upset with it in a burrito.

Friday:  Maryland Crabcakes, corn, English muffins
                   Everyone likes crab and they love cocktail sauce, so it should be a hit!

Saturday:  Baked Artichoke Pasta, carrots
                   This is described as being similar to a hot artichoke dip.  Yum!

Sunday:  Cobb Salad, oranges, French bread
                   If nothing else, it includes bacon and cheese!

I have referred several times to "my favorite cookbook".  I love this cookbook for several reasons.  The recipes are family friendly but are somewhat outside the box, allowing me to expose the children to different foods.  The recipes are organized by season, allowing me to utilize seasonal fruits and vegetables, and hopefully be more cost effective.  Best of all, the five weekly recipes come with a shopping list, allowing me to streamline my grocery shopping!  Score!

I first became aware of "The Scramble" when I was using their weekly grocery planning service at http://www.thescramble.com/.  It was a life saver for me when I first became a stay-at-home mom.  My only regret is that I didn't find it in time for me to have used it while I worked.  Check it out!  Contact me if you have any questions.

Have a good week!

Enjoy!



I am participating in Menu Plan Monday over at http://www.orgjunkie.com/!
                

No comments:

Post a Comment